AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dealing with heat and mostly humidity?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

PRNDL
Posted 6/19/2022 21:45 (#9712908 - in reply to #9712423)
Subject: RE: Dealing with heat and mostly humidity?

Texas & western Iowa
Lots of good ideas mentioned for you to try out.

As an endurance bike rider in Texas heat, what I've personally found is that is that heat tolerance varies quite a bit from person to person.
At rest stops, it's mostly Gatorade type drinks that riders are after. For me personally, I become nauseous within several miles after drinking them for some reason.

Many riders us a combination of Electrolyte Gels gels and ice water. I also see the cooling towels used at times.

The worst I ever bonked was on a 65 mile ride in temps that went from 80 at the beginning to 98 by mid afternoon. What I noticed (besides cramps and wooziness) was that my sweat wasn't salty.
After the suggestion by several riders with similar experiences, I've started carrying a small bottle of pickle juice just in case. I'm also aware that most/many Texas roofing crews have pickle juice at the ready if a roofer starts getting woozy.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pickle-Juice-Electrolyte-Shots-Stops-Cram...

Tons of water is good, but too much pure water can turn into a problem in my experience. It seems to 'wash out' the salts you need. If you haven't tried some sports drinks like Gatorade while you're working, I'd start there first.

Best of luck............

Edited by PRNDL 6/19/2022 21:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)