AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone heard from Denn_UA in Ukraine????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 6/19/2022 06:49 (#9711790 - in reply to #9711711)
Subject: RE: Has anyone heard from Denn_UA in Ukraine? Yes.

Chebanse, IL.....

Yes, I have. We email whenever possible. I'm sure most of us can imagine all the following problems and may have experienced them once or twice. But probably not all at the same time and we mostly have hope on the horizon. Not the same for them.

Denis is undergoing a lot of farming time-crunch problems right now. He is personally safe and uninjured, though he says they live with missle alert (inbound!) sirens constantly. He said in fact a siren was sounding as he was emailing me. They have local concerns that Russian troops are assembling on the border of Belarus, which borders Ukraine on the north. They will then be attacked from the north & east simultaneously. They feel that Putin plans to obliterate Ukraine & leave nothing standing, including farms. Remember, Putin said this all started in order to "liberate" the Ukrainian people so they could once again be Russians. 

Fuel is a problem right now. Has only a few gallons of supply on-site to farm 3000 acres. The new crops will be starting harvest soon. But, no fuel for drying. So, some may have to stand in the field months longer. Then he still has shortage of help, since his farming help is away fighting Russians to save their country. 17 hr days are his new normal, he says. 

Marketing & crop delivery is now a problem since the Russians have seized & blockaded the ports to the east. Grain has stopped moving. The European countries to the west of UE can't handle the grain necessary. Consider that you can't market your grain. Might have an impact on your finances?

Then, there's the typical farming problems. It was dry & cool when the pre-plant herbicides were applied. We all know that means they didn't work well. Now it's warm & moist & weeds are growing. Got to post spray & fast. But, remember the lack of fuel? What next?

His immediate family is safe in another country. Imagine that if you can. Sending your family thousands & thousands of miles away. It's been over 4 months now. Lucky for cell phones, but no personal contact. Consider the feelings of the families that had to be evacuated and haven't yet been able to return to their remaining families in Ukraine. Remember the disciplanary question from a generation ago? "Do you know where your kids are tonight..?" What if you didn't know if your remaining family was still alive.

I'm personally wondering if any of us here have ever had to consider the real possibility of our farm(s) being obliterated & everything we own destroyed? I doubt it, but those folks have considered that may yet occur.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)