AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Little league softball
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 6/18/2022 22:19 (#9711644 - in reply to #9711191)
Subject: RE: Little league softball

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

When I was in school (just after we quit riding dinosaurs - graduated 1977) the only team I was on was the basketball team. It was a small school and they let us start "going out for basketball" in the 4th grade. I found that I really liked the game although I was not especially good at it. For 4th - 6th grade our "games" were played at halftime of the high school home games. Back in those days we didn't have a high school girls team, only boys "A" team and "B" team. The 4th and enough 5th graders to make up two teams played during the half time of the "B" team and the 6th graders and the rest of the 5th graders played during halftime of the "A" team game. In junior high (7th and 8th grades) were lumped together and there was an "A" team and a "B" team. The "A" team was made up of the 10 best players and everyone else was on the "B" team. Same thing in high school (grades 9-12). During my 9th and 10th grade years I was a bench warmer and garbage time player on the "B" team. My junior year I was a starter on the "B" team and a bench warmer on the "A" team. My senior year I was a bench warmer on the "A" team. If you were good, you played. If you were not-so-good you played defense during practice and warmed the bench during games. Of course, if your dad was on the school board or worked at a car dealership where he could provide good deals for the coach, principle, and a few others it helped to tip the balance if the coach had to decide between a couple of players who were of about equal ability.

But mostly, if you were good, you played.

They did get enough girls interested to have some girls teams for my senior year. Things have changed some since then.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)