AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Little league softball
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illfarmr2
Posted 6/18/2022 16:37 (#9711259 - in reply to #9711191)
Subject: Not baseball, but basketball.

Years ago I was asked to volunteer coach a sixth grade boys basketball team, and they had about ten games scheduled. At that time, the HS team had an excellent team, and had an excellent reputation as a pressing and fast break team every chance they got.

The seventh and eighth grade teams were also loaded with talent, so no underclassmen played “up” a year. I had fourteen boys, with talent ranging from pretty good to pretty poor. BUT, every boy put out a 110%. I thought long and hard how to approach playing time, and this is the plan I ended up with. I divided the teams up as evenly as I could. Team A started the first game, and in a game with six minute quarters, team B went to the scorer’s table at 3:15 to check in at the next dead ball. Team C checked in at the end of the first quarter, and at 3:15 of the second quarter, team A checked back in. All I asked from them for those three minutes was to press every chance they got, and to fast break every chance they got. And boy, did they ever. Even the tubby boys could do that for three minutes.

The other teams usually started and played their best five. By the end of the half, we were usually behind a few points, but the other team was huffing and puffing. By the end of the third quarter we were pulling away, and even the better players understood what we were accomplishing. When we finally met a team that could hang with us, I called a timeout with three minutes left in the game, and put it to the kids. Does the group that was supposed to play next play, or do I pick out five. It was unanimous, play the five I picked. We won nine out of ten games, and every boy had contributed to the effort. Several didn’t play past that year, but they pretty much all played equal time. Oh, and if team A started the first game, team B started the second, and team C the third.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)