AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

And you wonder why people road rage on farmers!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Licensed to kill
Posted 6/18/2022 08:50 (#9710768 - in reply to #9709599)
Subject: RE: And you wonder why people road rage on farmers!

Northern Alberta
A couple comments from a custom applicator. In the picture, if the field being sprayed is the one across from the truck, the truck SHOULD be parked on the other side and the sprayer in the ditch. The ditch looks pretty tame and could EASILY be loaded from. However, we do not know if that is the field being sprayed. Also, it has been mentioned a few time about how busy the road is. Some back roads might see a vehicle 2-3 times a DAY, odds are pretty good that the sprayer will not hold anyone up and since most guys load in 10-15 minutes the chances that that ONE vehicle will arrive just as the sprayer is STARTING to fill is pretty slim. 2-3 vehicle all day, 12 minutes on the road an hour in the field, you gotta be REAL unlucky to get caught for the full 12 minute load. I have blocked a road like that once or twice in my career because I had no other choice. Unless I am loading in the customers yard I pretty much always pull up to the field approach and park as far off the road as I can and nose the sprayer up to the truck on the approach. However, when my wife brings me water, she often has to block the road. If she is just starting and a car comes, she unhooks and moves her truck to let the car pass if there is not enough room. If she is almost finished she will finish then leave. The bigger issue for me is in the spring and fall when I am spraying and a farmer come down the road with a seed drill in the spring or a combine with a header in the fall. They can not get past me so I stop spraying and move my truck so they can pass then reposition my truck. A PITA but it is what it is. In the case the OP, interestingly, the OP thinks that the sprayer operator is being selfish by temporarily blocking the road to fill and get working and the sprayer operator would think that the OP is being selfish for not understanding and waiting a few minute so he can get on with his work. I will let each reader decide who they think is being selfish. For me, I think they both are and they both have legitimate reasons for their position. It is life in farming country. This is how I typically load. Of course in this pic I am clearly on a relatively unused backroad but I HAVE had someone come down that road while my wife was filling me and they had to wait. In my spraying career of about 900,000 acres I have held up a vehicle perhaps a dozen or two times but never for more than maybe 10 minutes.

(IMG_0839 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0839 (full).jpg (83KB - 96 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)