AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Baler questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dieselfume1
Posted 6/19/2022 17:40 (#9712546 - in reply to #9709051)
Subject: RE: Baler questions

SE MT
We have a John Deere 567 that is over 20 years old now with 34000 bales on it We are getting ready for another season as the backup Baler to the vermeer 605n..

The 605n has about 12k Bales on it now. While it is a good Baler with a good net wrap system on it, I have to say I don't think it is as good as the deere..

We run pretty high tension on our Bales. The vermeer has broken two rollers in half, and lost a set of bearings in the top roller last season. And they are not fun to change.

The vermeer has better pickup teeth, but I'm not a fan of the pickup that continually is in contact with the ground and non floating like the deere.

The original Baler belts on the deere were changed at 28,000 Bales. The vermeer belts are already showing fairly significant wear, and have a few holes from sticks in them. I don't think they'll make 20k bales..

One nice thing about the vermeer is that it is a open throat design like the old 535 John Deere's. Meaning it will take a lot of hay without plugging. The 567 has a stuffer bar that helps with starting bales but I feel as harder on alfalfa. The vermeer also seems to take more horse power [pulls the tractor down] when building the first 30"of the bale compared to the deere.

In short, both are good bailers but I think the John Deere is a no brainer in terms of cost per bale, simplicity/reliability and parts availability along with resale..

The John Deere is a number one machine and has changed very little over 25 years for a reason.. vermeer is number 2 and I would not even consider a case or a New Holland machine. Go look at 1 and how And look at how light weight they are built and you'll see why.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)