AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Baler questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Iowa-beef
Posted 6/17/2022 00:28 (#9709116 - in reply to #9709051)
Subject: RE: Baler questions

I'd really recommend looking at a new baler lease preferably a deere. Simple balers.

I started out leasing a new baler on a 3 year lease. Once I was comfortable with having a baler I turned in my lease baler at the end of the term and bought another new one I will keep for longer than my first baler.

Anyway $2.50 for net wrap. Since you say some stalks i assume you'll be doing mostly hay. The next numbers i throw out are about what i think is right for hay but probably too high for cornstalks (more bales per hour in stalks). About $1-1.10 for tractor depreciation. About the same $1-1.10 for this high priced fuel.

So your at $4.50 for op costs not counting repairs. What's custom baling going to be this year with increased cost of everything? $15 really don't cut it but some (most) will do it for that probably. $15-4.50 leaves you with $10.50 to pay for a baler and repairs, parts. 2k bales at 10.50 is $21k to pay for baler and parts

If Can you lease a baler for $9k a year or less for 3 years you won't have many repairs to do. To be honest I haven't checked on baler prices for a year so I might be low.

If your new to balers I'd start new. Seems backwards but your not buying something that's wore out. You'll be running one that is how it should be and you can keep it in shape to stay that way.

It's not really a huge money making gig running a baler but you have the flexibility to bale when you want to bale and probably save a few bucks a bale doing so

Edited by Iowa-beef 6/17/2022 00:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)