AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shop rate prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Licensed to kill
Posted 6/18/2022 09:45 (#9710831 - in reply to #9709486)
Subject: RE: Shop rate prices

Northern Alberta
davpal - 6/17/2022 08:24

I don't take anything anywhere to get it fixed. If I can't fix it the item needs to be junked anyway. I'm not going to pay for somebodies business, buildings, 401k, health insurance, liability insurance, taxes, kids college funds, new automobiles. I'm having a hard enough time doing those things for myself. Paying a place $120 an hour to change my oil and spark plugs, brakes, tractor repairs etc aint gonna happen. About the only thing I won't work on is tire repairs. I do some but not the big ones. I watched too many fumble fingers over the years and realized many moons ago that I could do it better at my own place than to take it somewhere and pay out the nose for the privelage of doing it. You just have to be willing to try and people seem to be losing that willingness.

I get that but, for me, I hire a lot of work done that I COULD do myself. There is more to life than money and an hour spent is an hour of my life that I never get back. It is like my neighbour 25 years ago that hired a guy to frame his addition on his house. I asked why he didn't do it himself rather than pay Reg $20 an hour. Robert said "because I make $40/hour so why would I use my $40/hour time to do something that someone with more experience can do for $20?. I will go to work and make $40 to pay his $20". Also reminds me of my brothers neighbour, a cattleman the is cheap and won't hire anyone to work on anything (but he does have a hired hand). One day, my brother, a oilfield HD mechanic stopped in and Ed was changing something g on his CAT crawler. He and his hired had were heating and pounding on a large pin to get hot out. My brother said "that is not how you get those out", Ed said, "I know, you oil field guy just cut them out and put in a new one but those pins are $50". Brother said yes that is what I would do and they are $75. Told him he will spend many hours screwing around and in the end the pin will be pooched and have to be welded back in. A couple days later he went back and they had just got the pin and, yes had to weld it back in. Brother never said anything but when telling me he said that Ed just paid his hired hand for a couple days wages, PLUS his own time to save a $75 pin and in the end has a buggered up job. False economy and often the difference between someone that knows what they are doing and someone that thinks they know what they are doing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)