AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is there anything to learn from these heat losses?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nickeischeid
Posted 6/16/2022 22:34 (#9709016 - in reply to #9708934)
Subject: RE: Is there anything to learn from these heat losses?

North central TX

Are we talking about living, suffering creatures here or are we talking about bolts???!

Edit to add clicker beat me to it;
I get the point, and agree. But they're a business commodity too, and I learned a LONG time ago that getting attached or soft hearted costs you.

Like ntex said above. Our cattle can deal with that kind of heat. The root cause is likely the "legs" we put under cattle these days shipping them all over creation outside of their regional climates.

I'll guarantee, you won't ever see a yard full of south-eastern cattle dead from heatlike just caused this, and you'll see very few truly Texas cattle either. They both live it every year for months on end.

That being said, they still stress when it's miserable like this, my 3 fat steers I've been feeding went from minimum 100# of intake a day to 50# max on the cooler days! Luckily they go to the locker on or about the 1rst so they're to a point where I'm not losing much in the way of needed gain.
Just remember, this is far from the first time it's gotten hot and its dang sure not the hottest it's ever been in a lot of these places. And it's not the first time there's been death loss from heat either.

Edited by Nickeischeid 6/16/2022 22:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)