AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crops reduce water for cities?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

banders
Posted 6/15/2022 19:36 (#9707177 - in reply to #9707121)
Subject: RE: Cover crops reduce water for cities?

Here is one to talk about. I could in theory capture all water the soil run off from my farm in ponds and wetlands then use it as irrigation to put on later as needed. But I have seen some articles that claim even if you do that the water that you have collect still belongs to the state. So you would need a permit to pump that water from your pond from your land to use it.

The really dumb thought is if we could or do have crops that if we balanced the nutrient versus water need what would be the limitation on production. Right now if too wet there is not a proper uptake of nutrients so the crop suffers. Say we did some GMO breeding that would allow corn, soybeans, wheat to grow in swamp conditions could we dramatically increase yields. And that would reduce water in our rivers. Yes, wet lands put water in the aquifer but at the same time we could put wells down to even reduce the water from our farm going into the aquifer.

Something said a long time ago when the State said all surface water is controlled or owned by them, " Who owns the rain"? I have been talking a thinking about this for years, but is it just another crazy idea?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)