AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader aplication rate module
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/15/2022 19:37 (#9707179 - in reply to #9706724)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader aplication rate module

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.

I am very familiar with the Ag Leader Application Rate module as I worked with them as a Tech and also use one myself.

The Application Rate module can be used to what I think of as 3 different ways. None of these involve any form of control. They use information from other sources to make maps, total etc. The can not control the application rate. The have no output to control any type of control valve to change the flow rate.

Use #1:  Use an implement switch to start/stop a coverage map.  This is just a coverage map and is full width no partial half width is allowed.  There is no connection to a flow meter or shaft sensor so no rate information is available.  A common use would be a variety map for planting.  Again this is all or nothing with no partial or sections allowed.

Use #2:  Use a flow meter or shaft sensor to start/stop a coverage and rate map.  Again this is all or nothing with no possible way for sections or a partial swath.  I have used this for years on our planters where the starter fertilizer is pumped and distributed by a ground driven pump.  All rows get starter when the planter is down and no rows get fertilizer when the planter is up since the pump stops turning.  This works fine but again no section split is available.  It is ON or OFF.

Use #3:  Use a serial data cable between the communication port and a supported third party controller.  The controller must be a supported controller such as a Raven 440/450 or some other controllers that have a serial connector (9 pin computer type connector) on them.  In this situation the two devices exchange information.  This is the only way a partial pass where some sections are ON and others OFF will be mapped correctly. 

I am not familiar with Vaderstad drill control station serial controller.  It may be supported, maybe not.  With some controllers certain settings need to be set on the controller to tell it to put out information on the serial cable to the Ag Leader.  This may be your problem.  With a Raven for example there are four settings that need to be set a certain way in the Raven to cause it to export the information toe the Ag Leader.  With this serial type connection, partial passes, totals etc. are all transferred correctly to the Ag Leader.  Auto swath is not supported.  An implement switch is not needed nor supported. The Vaderstad should be sending this information via the serial cable if this is supported.  Is the Vaderstad control listed in the Ag Leader configuration setup?  I have never attempted working with one of those. 

The person who told you that using an application rate module with an implement switch is correct to a point.  The implement switch would cause the coverage map to show a full swath and never a partial swath as you desire.  Your map would be full width ON or full width OFF, no partial half width swath.  You need the serial connection to a supported controller do that.

Your ability to map a partial swath can only be possible if you use a serial connection to a supported third party controller.  The serial cable between the Application Rate module needs to be the correct model as there are two possibilities.  The one for a Raven has some pins tied together, the other one does not. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)