AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A reminder when loading cattle...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/15/2022 15:16 (#9706802 - in reply to #9706473)
Subject: RE: A reminder when loading cattle...

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Things were going well early this morning. With a couple buckets of sweet feed treat I was able to sort out the steers I had picked for today's processing appointment, they loaded easily and I was feeling good.

That is, until I got in my truck to pull away and see up ahead 4 nice, familiar-looking Hereford steers peacefully grazing on the lawn along the driveway! 

I always set the trailer in place at the loading ramp the night before a trip to the processor. I'd backed up to the ramp and gone in the side door to set the gate and rear door.  The door swung shut in the wind behind me but not latched.  Got busy setting up other gates etc and forgot to go back and latch the trailer side door from the outside.

This morning before loading I double checked all the gates etc EXCEPT the trailer side door which was on the opposite side of the trailer from everything else I do when loading.

So I called the processor and cancelled a precious appointment. They walked out along the driveway to the road but then miraculously turned around and came back. Fortunately they stayed near the fence with the cows, calves and rest of the herd on the other side where they should be.  I walked them back along the fence where one walked in thru a small man gate.  The other 3 wouldn't go thru the man gate but kept walking back along the fence toward the hay shed's open door and to my amazement walked into the shed and I closed the large door.

The loading holding area is inside the hay shed where I opened the man gate and they walked right in to the holding area they had been in an hour earlier. I called the processor and uncancelled, reloaded the steers and took 3 to the processor, this time with all trailer doors (and everything else) securely latched!

I don't know if I should go to church today or buy a lottery ticket... or both.  Feel very lucky.

I like calm cattle. I considered calling for help but it seems like my cattle behave much better when it's just me around them rather than strangers.

All's well that ends well?!

I WILL check the trailer side door is latched, I WILL check the trailer side door is latched, I WILL...

Edited by Jim 6/15/2022 16:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)