AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will this corn come back from this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gregor
Posted 6/15/2022 12:18 (#9706570 - in reply to #9706227)
Subject: RE: Will this corn come back from this?

East Central Nebraska
This sucks. Friend of mine around Waco Ne sent me some pics of his corn from last night. It is ugly. It's 100% gone and from the looks of it, absolutely nothing standing. He'd be tickled pink to have his stuff look like this. On top of that, damage to vehicles, houses, and buildings. Driving north of Lincoln, there was some bad hail a good 10 days ago. From the dashboard at 65 MPH, I'd guess population was 28K and now guessing it is 12k that is left out there that will survive. Talking with an agronomist buddy the other day and he estimated a hailed out field at 15K after a 32K planting stand. He recommended leaving it instead of replant. Many years ago, I had a field between waist high and shoulder high that got pummeled. It was knee high after the storm. That year I think I averaged around 120 bu/acre and the hailed stuff was about 10-15 bushels an acre less. Back then my APH was around 110. I was amazed how it came back but I could look above the corn when it tasseled and the ears were about a foot off the ground and we harvested first as the ears were touching the ground when it dried. Your picture here reminded me of what mine looked like after the hail event. I would also say, hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. Hopefully. No doubt a reduction, but it is the middle of June. Best wishes to you guys out there. Seems to be a big area getting hit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)