AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Female Veterinarian Stories.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Posted 6/17/2022 00:01 (#9709103 - in reply to #9707912)
Subject: RE: Female Veterinarian Stories.

west central Iowa
IL cow man - 6/16/2022 08:03

I have no complaints about female vets. I find them more than capable. My complaint is not being able to get an emergency call to the farm any more. I had my first prolapse in many years this spring. First I had to catch the cow. No problem except she was ornery. She was a 2015 model that could clear a 6 fence if left in a pen by herself. The real issue is I loaded her through a perfectly good squeeze chute and hauled her 35 minutes to the vet clinic. Slammed her to the front of trailer twice
getting her to the clinic. Unload her into their half --s handling facility. Have all the staff come out to watch that have no idea how to position themselveS to work animals into the clanging, slick floored system. Vet got the prolapse and stitched up prior to spinal tap and did not use the use the old school stich technique. I have to back cow out of chute and alleyway to load into trailer, because setup is so bad there could be casualties from the way the set up exits out the chute and haul her home. The stitches finally rip out after a couple of weeks and finally haul her and calf to the sale barn. Did I mention, this was at the end of the day and I loaded her through a perfectly good setup that is only 35 minutes away and the charged for an emergency call. I have since have gone to another vet clinic with female vets too, but at least their set up won't get killed. My true complaint is 90 percent of cattle treatment is to illuminate stress to the animal. Had to take a heifer a few days prior that I thought needed a c section. Pretty much same story and ended up shooting her but we did calf pulled after pulling one leg off. Wrong bull bred her. Her uterus was probably already ruptured prior to going to the vet. That heifer took me down trying to catch her in the chute for the 3 rd dose of antibiotic, because she became so loco after her trip. She wasn't that way prior to the trip. Just venting my frustration.
Edit: Vet school training in IL now is to the how to generate the most amount of income with the least amount of effort. You can make so much more money replacing a hip on an 11 year old lab that's going to die in a year than treat animals for someone that is making a living from them.

Yup I get tired of bringing the mountain to Mohammad instead of the other way around.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)