AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Female Veterinarian Stories.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 6/15/2022 02:59 (#9705915 - in reply to #9705750)
Subject: RE: Female Veterinarian Stories.

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
That's the problem these new vets don't get the real life training of these types of emergencies. I was taught the loader trick to put prolapses in on about my third one. Balebed or loader is my choice. I get called from time to time to do them for neighbors.

My most memorable one was Pedro called me early one morning. Boss come quick, cow prolapsed not good. I get there in drylot pen, milk cow has calved. Calf is alive and on his feet trying to suck cow. Cow had prolapsed, milk fever and had also bloated to the point almost dead. I hurried and stuck her with bloat needle, tied hind feet with log chain lifted her hind legs up a little bit so she couldn't try to get up with bale bed truck.

I then hurried and IV her with 1,000 mil of cal mag. Then lifted her up so hips were at a comfortable height for me to put prolapse in. Washed it off with hot water, plopped it right in. Put my stitches in, then gave her shot of LA-200. By then she came to, rolled her upright.

Left her be for a few hours, then walked her out of pen. At this point it was just salvage of cow. Two days later neighbor called looking for a nurse cow for their doggie calves. Told them come get her, and cut stitches out in a few weeks. I told them use her if she lived. Sell her in my name when done with her.

She raised 5 calves for them, I got a check from salebarn for the cow in the fall.

My old time vet also had a trick to put prolapse in with a big 2" combination wrench. Used the cheap China ones, couldn't afford Snap-on for vet truck. I won't divulge on here how to do that one. I would hate to get tarred and feathered for that.

I remember the first time I shared how to put prolapse in using loader to lift cow here on Agtalk. Someone here took real offense to it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)