AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Female Veterinarian Stories.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MU1979
Posted 6/14/2022 22:14 (#9705750)
Subject: Female Veterinarian Stories.

Missouri

Our discussion below made me think to much.  Two stories come to mind almost 40 yrs apart.

Around 1980 and old man shared with me a story about a female vet that is married one of my friends from Mu.  The old guy was her very first OB call after starting practice.  All was going according to plan, chains and pullers in place but calf would not pull.  After way to much pulling she stopped regrouped and identified the calf had a second head.  Corrected the problem and all good, other than she was embarrassed.  She today is one of the better horse vets around and has done so much for youth in the community over the years.  A winning lottery ticket is easier to find than a two headed calf.  What a start.

Then couple years ago we had a ship wreck prolapse on a young cow in major mud conditions.  Because she was young we decided to attempt to cowboy up and give her a try.  Two of us in total lob lolly pushed and tugged to put things back in place and sew her up.  Well do to not having the medicine for a spinal tap we lost and trying to do it on the ground tied to a tree.   Unwilling to give up we called local vet and got an on call female vet.  She was just out of school and shared had only done one in training. Agreed make the farm call.  Its important to visualize that two people she never seen before, both covered in mud from pushing and trying to get things back inside.  Cow full 3/4 mile off the road. That she could not even see is what she found.   She was very concerned how we would secure the cow.  No Problem.  We had had time to get better prepared. Four wheel drive vet truck ok, most of the way on sod pasture. We had loader tractor and hung the cow with hip grips, tied her head to a tree and went to work. Vet was not impressed, but it worked.  We did what a she said put this white thing on and made a sling and stuff fell pack in place.  Lots easier when she is standing/hanging and not pushing.  Vet was not impressed with the cleanness/ sanitation,  gave her a big shot of antibiotics and asked that we get he a message if the cow lived.  I had taken a few photos on my camera and took them to the male vet she had covered for.   He informed me the experience was to much for her and she decided large animals where not for her. To this day I still laugh.  Cow lived.  Lady Vet did a good job, but have never seen her again.  PTSD would be my diagnosis.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)