AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fuel tax and roads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 6/15/2022 08:58 (#9706261 - in reply to #9705963)
Subject: RE: fuel tax and roads

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Yes, I actually strongly support a use tax for fuel or any other form of energy that uses public roads that need to be maintained. Since this is the early days of the EV revolution things will need to be changed as time goes on. Right now, the flat fee is a stop gap measure. As electric chargers become more widespread, nothing prevents metering juice used at particular recharging points and distributing that revenue equitably. Right now, I don't think the volumes used would support a big collection mechanism so the fee is more of a rough guestimate and I would say it's better than nothing. Once again, we shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of pretty good.
When we're in AZ, we do pay property tax on our residence there. Utilities are subject to sales tax so it's hard to get out of paying them. Groceries are exempt from sales tax. Dining out incurs a tax. Vehicle sales are subject to tax but I make it a point to buy only from dealers that know how to fill out and file MT sales tax exemption forms. Other larger ticket items can usually be negotiated so the out the door price ends up being the same as sticker price with no tax added.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)