AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fuel tax and roads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

The Pretender
Posted 6/14/2022 11:46 (#9704818 - in reply to #9704596)
Subject: RE: fuel tax and roads

The Internet

It's best not to think about how much fuel is here, it brings a tear to the eye. On top of the cost of the fuel, HM Government charges 53 pence per litre in fuel duty. On top of that, they then charge 20% Value Added Tax.

Here's some figures for you to digest https://www.statista.com/statistics/284323/united-kingdom-hmrc-tax-r...

It's a different set up here, people want the state to provide certain things, so this is how that needs paying for and the revenue will need to be raised if it's not on fuel. I'm not against fuel duty, it's a fair system, the more you use, the more you pay.

We also have to pay Vehicle Excise Duty on our vehicles. This isn't such a straight forward system. It's a flat rate, paid annually, I have to pay £150 per year for my car, so no biggie.

The way we've been sold EV's is that they're cheap to run, which they are. But a huge amount of what we pay here is tax, in its various guises. It looks to me like EV's are ripe for road pricing, which opens the door for privacy issues.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)