AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dad on meth, won't let me plant...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Usetobe dental asst
Posted 6/13/2022 09:54 (#9703096 - in reply to #9702542)
Subject: RE: Dad on meth, won't let me plant...

South Central MN
To put it mildly, you are in a sucky situation. Because he’s your dad, you want to try to help him; but, if he wants to change, it needs to come from him. You cannot rescue him from every situation he puts himself in. I have a brother (59 years old next week) that has been on cocaine/meth since he was about 18 years old. He actually put himself into treatment about 18 years ago, and I was “invited” (made to feel guilty if I didn’t go) to “family day”, which was very eye opening in so many ways. Some people as young as 21 years old had been in treatment up to 13 times. Much of what I heard that day is worse than what is portrayed on television. There were announcements while I was there about cocaine/meth classes, and I asked about throes classes. With the guidance of a counselor, they go through the entire act of prepping to use those drugs and actually the process of taking the drug, but using a “placebo” drug. My brother said these drugs are so powerful that the process of using the placebo caused many of the same effects. One thing that really stuck in my head that day was when we were in a group meeting with other families and the counselor said it is almost impossible, even with treatment, to stop using - especially meth and cocaine. He said people quit, but the urge to use never subsides and they start again. I’m really sounding like a Debbie Downer here, but for you sake, and especially if you have a family, you need to keep your distance. This doesn’t mean you should never speak to him, but you cannot rescue him, you definitely should not pay for his treatment, and if he doesn’t help with your farming, don’t help him. And as for law enforcement, I have called a couple of times and they aren’t much help. Unless they actually catch someone in the act of selling, there’s not much they seem to do. And even then, it doesn’t seem like there are many consequences. And most users do become dealers, because they need to support their own habit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)