AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

adverse possession questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 6/12/2022 17:57 (#9702159 - in reply to #9701944)
Subject: RE: adverse possession questions

Sanilac Co. Michigan
JRthefarmer - 6/12/2022 14:53

Just curious what you guys think of this situation. I have a pasture adjacent to a lake the county owns. In the past (before we ever owned it since mid 90's), the cows have always drunk from the lake, stood in it, etc. Pasture owner took care of weeds, etc. I believe someone has a grudge and is trying to stir things up as I've encountered several things the last couple weeks. A county commissioner stated to me at a meeting I was at that someone "brought to their attention" that I was using the county's grass rent free. I said I haven't done anything different in the last 25yrs since we've owned it and previously. About a 10-12yrs ago, I fenced off the lake to restore the bank and help with erosion, cows in the water, etc. and piped rural water to the pasture. The part between the lake and the fence is in CRP (about 6ac), and I collect a payment for that, which apparently is the county's land. Anyway, I'm wondering what my options are at this point to squash this thing or straighten it out for the future. There is supposedly about 14ac of pasture that the county says it theirs, I don't think it's that much, but not sure as they just google mapped it or something. Is adverse possession an option here? If the county decides to do something with the land, is there anything on my end to do? I'm not sure at this point if there is something more behind this whole thing or if the county is going to pursue something more, but I just want to be prepared on my end the best I can.

I'm going through an adverse possession case right now regarding a discontinued railroad line. Without going into details on my specific issue, my understanding is you can claim title by adverse possession if you have openly and notoriously operated on the property, without let or hindrance for 15 years or more. This is Michigan, but I think it's standard.

I strongly urge you to consult an attorney, expert in real estate matters in your state.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)