AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Education from lowes post
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

oldskool
Posted 6/11/2022 22:10 (#9701079)
Subject: Education from lowes post

Pvafarm - 6/11/2022 05:22

Through grade 12 it's all about getting a well rounded education and learning what's out there in life. So half the kids won't ever use the "junk classes" in real life according to you? OK, if you're such a genius bring out your crystal ball and tell me who should learn what... Well obviously none of us can do that and that's why some of these posts on education I read here are such garbage.

Speaking from our schools perspective because I'm not familiar with others, when kids get into middle school they have several quarters of being exposed to different classes/avenues for a career. A quarter of exploring ag is one of them. At that point we opened up FFA to the middle school kids. And guess what? The HS ag program has been steadily growing and the FFA program is working with our alumni group to build a greenhouse. Using your logic since maybe 70% of kids won't be affected by agriculture classes I guess those junk classes and programs should be scrapped?

Bottom line is open your mind and get out a bit to realize the world is just a touch bigger than what you can formulate between your ears.

Don’t need a crystal ball; the original lowes post, interaction with 90% of millennial or younger employees and the help wanted signs in town tell what we’re failing to teach kids in or out of school. Reading, writing and arithmetic along with how to be an employee was clearly spelled out as necessary in my post. I could care less which classes are offered as electives.

If you really want to get on it though, yes you’re little greenhouse project probably isn’t going to be as earth shattering as you’re making it out to be. Was in ag classes, 4h and ffa throughout high school. So were a lot of other kids because it was an easy A we all knew the material, can’t say one kid had a revelation they were meant to work in agriculture. I can tell you what did happen though, every kid was pushed and prodded to go to a 4 year college. As in no tech schools got a chance to recruit but universities were sometimes 3 deep in the office so you could talk to them. 14 out of 21 graduates dropped out the first semester of college and got jobs. Not sure if you’re head is too far in the sand to see it but that tells me those kids got shortchanged by our education system.

Yes, the world is big and there are many jobs and opportunities that I have no idea they exist. But if those jobs were that prevalent you would see signs advertising them like the jobs that are abundant. Which is where 90% of the kids are going to end up; at a factory, oilfield/mine/raw materials, in retail sales, etc. Not on broadway, not an NBA player, and probably not farming full time without supplemental income. Tell me how being well rounded with the fine arts would trump being a good employee in everyday jobs. Sure doesn’t help knowing a sharp d note if you’re late to work and expect to sit on your phone all day. Even if you did connect with your boss over music the being late and lack of work ethic will keep you on the bottom of the ladder or out of a job.

One more thing this isn’t 1972 where the only way to learn about a career that doesn’t exist in your area is through a school class. Kids have the internet, and most have smartphones. A quick google search will give you more career paths to explore then could be sifted through in a day. If they’re interested they will persue it. Pretty obvious you can’t learn work ethic from a screen or we wouldn’t be in the situation we are right now. Education posts aren’t garbage, we need ideas on how to fix the current system. If you’re happy with where your education system is scroll on by next time it’s brought up or show us how you have 0% unemployment and no help wanted signs in your area.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)