AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Change the heart…..then society will change.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 6/10/2022 07:54 (#9698926 - in reply to #9698286)
Subject: RE: Change the heart…..and then society will change.

Sanilac Co. Michigan
IHC 1470 - 6/9/2022 19:25

OntarioCanuck - 6/9/2022 16:24 .  It is fortunate that humanity, for the most part, realized how bad it was to own other humans and finally outlawed the practice a few hundred years ago refuting the approval that is given in the bible. Once you quit just believing and interpreting every thing to agree with your beliefs and look at the reality of the old book and the world around you then you will see the failings of that old book and this who interpret it to suit their wants.

Same one you all use.   
How can you say I believe in biblical standards

So what do you say about the slavery that is still going on today or do you believe it no longer exist?

Same one you all use? Which one is that OC? What is the yard stick that you use. Several here would like to know.

When it comes to slavery, the bible and his own response to the issue, he's full of more, um, "stuff", than the proverbial Christmas goose.

Proscribed slavery in the old testament is indentured servitude plain and simple. Since at the time the various regulations were given there was no central government or systematic welfare service an individual could turn to when they became indigent, they were left with few options. Indentured servitude for specific periods of time would put clothes on their backs, a roof over their heads and food in their bellies. Read what a masters responsibilities were and the prohibitions levied upon them.

Well, what about actual chattle slavery as practiced in the American south, was that allowed and why? In a word, yes, but it's not as simple. It was supposed to be death to those that would forcibly enslave their fellow israelites. Slaves could be made of those outside Israel, taken as a result of conflict. Even then there were regulations regarding treatment. Read the Book. Again, there wasn't any Hague or Geneva Convention to fall back on 3,200 years ago.

Here's the thing about old testament slavery and it's regulation that people on both sides of the argument miss. God gave those regulation for the same reason Jesus said He gave regulation for divorce: because of the "hardness of men's hearts". Just as in the beginning He expected a man and women to remain married, He also expected us to love one another as we love ourselves. So, there should be no indentured servitude only charity and the forgiveness of one another's debts. Similarly, there should be no war or murder. No one should become prisoner or find themselves in a predicament where they are prisoners. That just isn't part of the design.

So, how did it change to what we have come to expect in our culture today? In a word: Jesus Christ, even if you're not a Christian. That's the reason slavery in most of western Europe was dead by 1,100 AD. That's right, it was the church that stamped out one of mankind's oldest institutions, not with a sword but with the word of God. Furthermore, it was primarily the church that sought and found an end to the African slave trade in England, as well as founding the abolishonist movement here in the USA. If I'm not incorrect, that led to the death of a few hundred thousand willing to die in the effort to eliminate slavery from North America, based on the principles taught in "some old book".

So yeah, that:slavery. Of course the guy from Ontario is a hater. He hates the bible and despises Christianity and those that practice it. The mere mention of Jesus in conversation about drives him to apoplectic fits! Well, that's fine. I suppose everybody has their triggers, I've got a few of my own. But what he really bangs a drum on is slavery, particularly as practiced by an obscure tribe of wanderers in the Levant some 3,200 years ago. That puts him over the edge.

Of course, slavery of the worst kind is still common today. Openly and notoriously practiced in North Africa, among other places. If he so despises the practice, I can only wonder just what he personally has done to curtail it. I've asked many times before, but no response, even though a casual Google search turns up any number of groups that would appreciate even the smallest level of financial support to end the practice. I can only take it that his outrage is hypocrisy and only serves as a "red herring" in his unwavering contempt for "that old book".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)