AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Covid vax question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

WYDave
Posted 6/12/2022 21:10 (#9702450 - in reply to #9687172)
Subject: RE: Covid vax question

Wyoming

It depends on who the subject is.

For young men who have no pre-existing conditions, their risks might have been increased due to the Moderna vaccination. There are several countries that looked at their health system data and dis-recommended or stopped administering Moderna to men between 18 and 30 or 31. These countries included France, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, etc. There were increased incidences of myocarditis in young males, and they had the data to back up their findings.

I should NB that myocarditis in response to vaccination is not unheard of before this. In 2002/2003, the USA and USMC found elevated incidences of myo/peri-carditis connected to the smallpox vaccine given to soldiers/Marines in preparation to invade Iraq. People should remember that about 75% of all cases of myocarditis occur in males, and most of those cases occur in young males of northern European heritage between the ages of 15 to 30. The risk of COVID for young, healthy males with normal weight/BP/BG vs. the side-effect risks of the vaccines is about a wash.

For older people, especially over 65, who are obese (BMI > 30.0), have Type II diabetes, untreated hypertension, uncontrolled blood glucose... the data show they can significantly reduce their risk by getting vaccinated.  People with immune-compromising conditions also benefit from the vaccines.

Today, I would note that fourth-shot boosters using the existing vaccines are exhibiting rather short effectiveness. The data we're seeing for both Pfizer and Moderna vaccines shows that by the time someone has gotten four injections, the boost in immunity from the vaccine is becoming rather short - less than two months of improved immunity in some age cohorts. Moderna still shows an improvement over Pfizer, but by the fourth booster against Omicron or later variants of the virus, the improvement is slight.

Moderna is going before the FDA with an updated version of their vaccine next week:

https://investors.modernatx.com/news/news-details/2022/Moderna-Announces-Omicron-Containing-Bivalent-Booster-Candidate-mRNA-1273.214-Demonstrates-Superior-Antibody-Response-Against-Omicron/default.aspx

I'm not recommending any course of action. That's for you and your doctor to determine.

As for what I did: I got the initial two doses of Moderna, and one Moderna 50 ug booster. I won't bother with the second booster, based on the data I've reviewed. I will say this: Out of the over 1,600 doses of COVID vaccines I've administered, the Moderna vaccine has exhibited the most side-effects, especially in younger patients.

Edited by WYDave 6/12/2022 21:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)