AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Backgrounding calves with buckets.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mn2
Posted 5/31/2022 18:14 (#9684790 - in reply to #9684533)
Subject: RE: Backgrounding calves with buckets.

Lb94 - 5/31/2022 13:36

This is what I did, don't really even need to mix the corn and ddg i just figured up how many buckets of corn i needed and how many ddg, poured the corn in bunk first then topped with DDGs. Generally started the calves feeding mostly DDG's when they were 400 lb then about 50/50 when they were yearlings around 700 - 800 lb. Bought a complete premix i mixed into the DDG buckets by hand so they could get at it equally in the bunks, you'll want a mix that has rumensin in it and figure up your calcium to phosphorous ratio to be 2:1 so you'll need to add limestone to this as well. Usually shot for around 14% total crude protein when i started them at 400 lb and worked down to around 12% there when they were about done. Fed around 1% bodyweight of that ration with just grass hay and would get about 1.5 lb per day of gain on heifers.

I store my DDG's in a 225 bushel gravity wagon, you can get 4 ton in there if you help the feed truck driver out when he unloads and keep pushing the pile to the sides in the wagon when he fills it. Sure you'll have maybe 50-75 lb go bad each load by the end but a gravity wagons no big deal to climb in with a scoop shovel and clean out before you get your next load. You'll need something to help stir the DDG's in the wagon so they knock loose and flow, after a while they'll bridge up and not flow.
think it would work to have the feed store deliver the ddg's and rolled corn together unload into trailer then bucket feed it and put rumensin mix on top? looking at something like this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)