AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Our memorial weekend drive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 5/29/2022 04:31 (#9680642)
Subject: Our memorial weekend drive

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
We had a bunch of cattle on Forest Service fields that was out of feed, so we moved the first day on Friday, went around 14 miles to a holding rest stop pasture for the night. then picked them up Saturday morning to finish pushing them to new field. Luckly, we had clouds and cool weather the first day. However, Saturday it rained good on us, soaked us all the way through our raincoats. However, cows move the best in a rain like that. Nobody complained about it, didn't have dust to deal with and it sure helps cows pair up.

It's not fun dealing with downed fences along the right of way, however that's the landowner's choice to fence. We try to keep cattle off their crops, I've found lot easier to let cattle string for mile or so down the road. They know where they want to go, also helps to work the road traffic though us if they are strung out. I take a 4-wheeler and help by leading cars, trucks though the herd. Experienced drivers know how to work a vehicle though a moving herd and there is no problem, don't have to lead those cars though. However a lot of people love to follow for a ways and take pics as they've never seen cattle up close or horses, we thank them for having some patience with us.

ICC here on AgTalk can appreciate this herd, as it has some of his bulls in herd. The other rancher I'm running with this year has purchased bulls from him. He and I was chatting while trailing up the road, ICC's name come up about bulls, he told me he had some of his in this group. I wasn't able to get a pic of them. I let the dry farmers and other crop farmers know we are coming before had. They send some help with 4-wheelers to help get though all the crop ground, we sure to appreciate the help they give us, last thing we want to do is tromp potatoes and wheat crop.

The pic of MF combine was a machine I owned for a lot of years, I sold it to a younger kid for the price of the used tires on it. He used it for a while, and got a job offer in Montana. He quit farming and just left combine by the road for sale. Never got any takers on it, I still have a nightmare or two thinking that thing is coming back to my yard. I sure hope the engineer that designed that machine is living his hell from some things on that combine. There is a reason they put a big MF on that combine.

(1 (full).jpg)

(2 (full).jpg)

(3 (full).jpg)

(4 (full).jpg)

(5 (full).jpg)

(6 (full).jpg)

(7 (full).jpg)

(8 (full).jpg)

(9 (full).jpg)

(10 (full).jpg)

(11 (full).jpg)

(12 (full).jpg)

(13 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 (full).jpg (168KB - 589 downloads)
Attachments 2 (full).jpg (160KB - 664 downloads)
Attachments 3 (full).jpg (203KB - 675 downloads)
Attachments 4 (full).jpg (198KB - 680 downloads)
Attachments 5 (full).jpg (161KB - 647 downloads)
Attachments 6 (full).jpg (153KB - 623 downloads)
Attachments 7 (full).jpg (144KB - 580 downloads)
Attachments 8 (full).jpg (194KB - 736 downloads)
Attachments 9 (full).jpg (183KB - 619 downloads)
Attachments 10 (full).jpg (199KB - 450 downloads)
Attachments 11 (full).jpg (151KB - 617 downloads)
Attachments 12 (full).jpg (184KB - 648 downloads)
Attachments 13 (full).jpg (183KB - 606 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)