AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Going to need a Router
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/3/2022 06:44 (#9688444 - in reply to #9679628)
Subject: LTD Broadband and my Mesh experiences

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I read your post with interest since I am an LTD Broadband user myself. I was at the bottom tier since I didn't feel the need for the faster packages. I did have some delays at times but accepted that as a trade off for the cheaper price. I got a call from LTD the other day indicating that I would be having a price increase.

I mentioned that their website guaranteed no price increases. Their answer was simple, "We didn't increase the prices, we just dropped that tier". Pretty clever way of getting a price increase. They indicated that everyone needed a faster package anyway which I suspect is true. I guess I get a somewhat reduced price on the new package for a while to sooth the transition.

Some months ago, I set up a second computer in my basement and this was in a bit of a dead spot so I purchased an Eero 6Mesh package. This consists of 3 units each with a 110VAC power cable. One unit is physically plugged into the LTD modem in the office. It creates a network of its own and broadcasts to the to the other two Eero units. I had one in the dining room and the other in the basement below the office system above it. This creates a second network in my home. My basement computer could be set to my original network or the Eero unit. The signal strength was better on the Eero (which was my goal) so I used that network for the basement computer. I used the hard wired connection from the office modem/router to the office computer.

Low and behold the SpeeDee delivery van pulled in one day and dropped off a package. It was from LTD Broadband. The package had originally contained a 3 unit Vilo Mesh system. One of the units, the ethernet cable and quick start guide had been removed and resealed. There were absolutely no directions.

I called LTD support a couple of times and got ladies working out of their homes who had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. Fortunately since I had installed my own Eero Mesh system, I had some clue as to what the Mesh system involved. I did watch the video they suggested and found installing the Vilo was exactly the same procedure as installing my Eero.

The Vilo system seems to work. I'm thinking of purchasing another ethernet cable and trying to use both the Eero and the Vilo mesh systems although that seems a bit foolish. Maybe I can find a friend who is in need of a Mesh system. The LTD Broadband folks that I talk to have no clue as to what is going on.

I suspect they "gave me" the Vilo Mesh system as somewhat of an appeasement for the forced change in programs. I also suspect they removed part of the package to "stretch out" the systems so that two packages were split up for three customers.

Edited by tedbear 6/3/2022 06:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)