AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Going to need a Router
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

YawLes
Posted 5/28/2022 10:54 (#9679828 - in reply to #9679628)
Subject: Some wired - mesh it all

Given your not-unique needs, if I were in your position, I would hard-wire the son's gaming computer, the heavy streaming devices. And install a MESH system - Ubiquity, Eeros, Netgear Orbi all have good reputations.

The reason - the hard-wired will be faster, depending on your choices of products. In all cases, the slowest component will be the restriction point of traffic speed. If you have a gigabit speed port on your router, but use poor quality CAT-5 cable, that cable will be your choke point. Latest and greatest is CAT-8, especially for gamers. It does have a distance restriction - the closer the better. Length of 15 feet to no more than 50 feet is recommended. Longer will lose speed. I found a Dacron brand, Cat 8 Ethernet Cable, 5 ft Shielded, 26AWG Lastest 40Gbps 2000Mhz SFTP Patch Cord, Heavy Duty High Speed Cat8 for $1.70 per foot with a speed of 40 gigabits/second on a 5 foot length. AGAIN, if the router or gaming computer has 1 gig ports, that's going to be the best you'll get.

Sort of like having a brand-new, eight-lane highway all to yourself, and you're riding a moped...

The MESH system consists of several plug-n-play devices. Better than "network extenders" for wireless which use half the band-width for communications between the devices, the MESH system has a separate channel for that communication, leaving the entire port bandwidth to serve your surfing needs. I do not have experience with a MESH system, so I have no first hand experience.

Best location if you have any say in where the point-of-presence in your home will be, go for the smack-dead center. That way everything will be half-way from the router or main MESH base. I would also encourage you to ask for a good length of "maintenance loop" (extra fiber) when they install it. Life happens, you may need to move a wall, accidentally snip the fiber with an errant sawzall... extra fiber is easier to put a new end on by the pros, than having to splice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)