AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drought. When to get feed spoken for?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 5/27/2022 17:25 (#9678869 - in reply to #9678855)
Subject: RE: Drought. When to get feed spoken for?

SE Manitoba
A&M - 5/27/2022 17:11

I think this drought has got us all a little nervous right now. Don’t think our hay or silage is going to make it. But it’s early yet. One thing I’m working on changing this year that Iv struggled with in the past, is I’ve struggled with getting feed bought or spoken for at the right time. Worried we might not find much out there this year. When would you guys try to get feed spoken for? Before it’s planted? After it’s planted, or after it’s cut and put up? I know when it comes to by-products I almost always call early and call at the wrong time. They are not too excited to hear for me. I’d love to call them right now and get something reserved for this fall. But I know if I call him now he’s going to tell me “well that’s being a little forward where we don’t know what we have yet don’t you think?” and never call me back this fall. Classic. I’m just curious is all. Thanks guys.

I find myself keeping notes on everyone I talk to.
One guy wants to know early, another late - - - You got to keep track when they want to be asked.
Find most guys won't price hay until stuff starts moving - - - they all want top dollar - - - grin!
I found that since I started buying most of my feed that I got smarter at feeding.
Didn't need to feed 100% hay.
So you calculate a ration for say second trimester and third trimester and after calving right then back on pasture.
I use waste products - - - - I make my cows pick through stover to eat the leaves (easier if you can run them on corn ground but that's not what I hear you asking), use some other low quality hay (sometimes even a good straw works well) adding some good hay or more grain and sometimes protein supplement. Don't forget to use trace mineral supplements and balance your major minerals too.

You can keep your costs lower by calving on grass (or the beginning of grass), pasturing dry cows on corn ground (not too much snow though) - - - - still not as cheap as if you could graze them all year round but you don't have to stuff them fat with even pretty good hay. The feeding period is where most spend too much and a few can actually make serious money =- - - - all depends upon your program.

Lots of ways to skin the cat.
Planning early helps.
Locking in feed supplies early is a bigger help. (If I could have next winter's feed locked in right now I'd be a grinning!!!)

Starting to wonder if the way to do it is to always be feeding year old feed - - - that would take the stress down a bunch.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)