AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

135 vs 138 vs 131
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/26/2022 06:47 (#9676207 - in reply to #9676095)
Subject: My observations

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have 3 Ag Leader InCommand 1200s with Ag Leader GPS 6500s. These are used for steering and application control in 3 Deere 8xxx tractors, a Hagie Sprayer and a Deere combine. I purchased an older QuadTrack tractor at a retirement auction which has a Trimble CFX-750 on WAAS. This is used with a Nav II for steering only.

I drive the old Quad for tillage. I was warned of the changeover for WAAS by an email from my CIH dealer even though I have not purchased any GPS equipment from them. I forced the CFX-750 to use 135. It worked fine all Spring and I didn't notice any change in accuracy or startup time as compared to previous years.

One of the InCommand 1200's and one of GPS 6500's is used in the planting tractor. Since I feel we need better accuracy there, I purchase a yearly TerraStar subscription for that 6500. That worked well but of course, WAAS was not involved.

The other day I decided to change the WAAS setup in the old 8310 tractor that uses an InCommand 1200 and a different 6500 on WAAS. It was set to auto. I forced a change to 135 and after a fairly long time decided I was successful. I wanted to be certain that the changes I made were going to stay in effect so I turned everything off, waited a bit and then turned the InCommand back On to start a new session. I got the usual indications but the time to go from the yellow satellite to green seemed excessive.

I called my dealer/salesman and asked him about this. He said another customer had claimed that the process took him some 6 minutes from initial startup. I repeated my test and found that the GPS degraded signal appeared very soon after startup, the satellite icon went from gray to yellow soon after. I took around 5 1/2 minutes for the yellow icon to turn to green with the warning triangle. After another 1/2 minute it went to green without the triangle. In other words, my system took about 6 minutes from a cold start to "good to go green". This was in wide open spaces where the GPS should have had good access to the sky.

Since it had rained that day and about every day since, I did not actually try the steering with the new WAAS satellite on that rig. It seems very strange that the Trimble system seems to work fine on 135 but the Ag Leader system is slow to catch and may not work very well. The other puzzling thing is Ag Leader seems to be saying use 131 (which I haven't but will try) and Trimble says use 135 and makes no mention of 131.

Edited by tedbear 5/26/2022 06:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)