AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is SteerCommand Z2 an upgrade from SteerCommand?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/24/2022 13:22 (#9673428 - in reply to #9673309)
Subject: RE: Is SteerCommand Z2 an upgrade from SteerCommand?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have done this but don't have an answer to your question. I had an Integra and GeoSteer in my 8310R Deere tractor. It worked fine most of the time. Ag Leader came out with a trade up program some years ago. This allowed me to trade in my Integra and GeoSteer towards an InCommand 1200 with SteerCommand. I was advised to participate in that program.

With this tractor the steering controller works with the Deere steering valve already on the tractor through Deere's CAN system. It steered the tractor fine but wouldn't always acknowledge the fact that SteerCommand was present. It was a hit & miss situation if it would "mate" up each morning When it did, it worked fine for that session. To avoid the problem we got in the habit of just leaving the InCommand and Steering ON overnight to prevent problems in the morning.

Some time last year Ag Leader came out with Steer Command Z2. As I understand this is their own unit and not a rebranded system from someone else as was always the case in the past. I traded in the SteerCommand that I was using for a SteerCommand Z2. The switch over was very easy.

I had a Tech come out as I can't bend very well anymore. He was able to remove the SteerCommand and install the SteerCommand Z2 in about 15 minutes. I did not have a place to do the calibration that day so we left uncalibrated. The next Sunday was a nice day and I drove the tractor to the dealer's lot where there was plenty of room to do the calibration. The calibration procedure was very easy and I just did what the screen instructed me to do. I tested the tractor on the gravel road home a few times and it seemed fine. I tested it a few times later before we were able to go to the field. My great nephew drives the planter and it worked fine for him.

Our corn has emerged and I did a roadside check late yesterday. It appears that the steering worked very well. I notice some of my neighbors with Deere steering have "twitches" in their rows. This is not really a problem but it appears that their systems were what I call "nervous"..

So in answer to your original question, I won't say that our SteerCommand Z2 works better than the replaced SteerCommand since it worked fine also. This has taken care of (at least so far) the problem of not finding the steering controller upon startup. I maintain that it is a matter of timing but never did get a straight answer. Once Ag Leader abandoned Steer Command, I felt that my chances of getting any help with it were gone.

Edited by tedbear 5/24/2022 13:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)