AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for pin out of a cable with part number 380002422
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/13/2022 08:03 (#9658745 - in reply to #9658564)
Subject: RE: Looking for pin out of a cable with part number 380002422

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
This sounds reasonable from my experience as the pin assignments are somewhat standardized from one company to the next. Pin 2 and Pin 3 are Transmit (Tx) and Receive (Rx). Pin 5 is ground for the GPS signal.

The Tx and Rx can be confusing since it depends on which end you are thinking from.

The 2-2, 3-3 and 5-5 is very likely correct. Some situations need what historically is referred to as a Null Modem adapter. This is a throwback from the old Teletype days when one machine was connected directly to another without using a modem.

If a Null Modem arrangement is needed then the wiring would be 2-3, 3-2 and 5-5. Fortunately using the incorrect wiring of "straight through" or "criss cross" when the other is needed doesn't generally do any damage. It just doesn't work.

My general rule of thumb when connecting GPS devices where only 9 pin connectors are used is: If the connectors will mate (one male, the other female) then a straight through pattern of 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 works. If the ends are the same sex so a gender changer is needed, the wires need to be swapped somewhere along the line 2-3, 3-2, 5-5.

Edited by tedbear 5/13/2022 08:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)