AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Installing new eero unit soon
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/17/2022 10:11 (#9445206 - in reply to #9443905)
Subject: RE: Only one router per network is best

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
YawLes - 1/16/2022 17:14

If you can persuade your ISP into letting you do it, turn off your modem's router and let the Eeros do it all. It's designed to work with the mesh, knows what it's doing and does it very well.

IF THEY WON'T - you will want to turn on "bridge mode" in your Eeros' system. This lets the modem's router do the routing work, and the Eeros passes along the routing instructions as the modem provides - which is basically the IP address, gateway and subnet masks for the communicating on the network, and the Domain Name Service (DNS) which converts when you type in www.newagtalk.com into a numerical IP address like 216.245.223.146 for my location/network.

I would also recommend you ask your ISP how to turn off the wireless portion of your modem as well. It will work with both the Eeros and the modem's wireless networks. It's just more complications - neat is always best.

Thanks. I understand and may try that route. Not today however, since my ISP was down. My first thought that is/was something I had done when rearranging some cables yesterday. My Internet service comes to my house from the antenna on the grain leg at my great nephew's place. I checked with him and they were out also. The service goes through the air from the grain leg to the antenna on my house and then goes inside. There it goes through a POE unit and then to a Modem/Router. From the Modem an ethernet cable goes to the desktop computer in the office. Another ethernet cable goes to the eeros Gateway unit in the office.

I called the ISP and got a message that they were experiencing massive outages. Somewhat later, my service seemed to be partially restored since I could get Facebook partially but nothing else. Now it seems to work as expected and I'm able to get here to AgTalk, eMail, my bank etc.

I understand that I have two networks in my home now. The old one that is still used to go directly to the office computer via an ethernet cable and the new eeros network for everything else. I think I have this straight in my mind. I think I will just leave it that way for a while.

Edited by tedbear 1/17/2022 10:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)