AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Router help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Byrdy
Posted 1/6/2022 22:24 (#9424204 - in reply to #9423702)
Subject: RE: Router help

Hello,
I would say in your situation wifi 6 is unnecessary, all it adds is more speed, and price. Wifi 6 routers can get up to speeds of 1500 mbps which is way overkill for the 50 or so you said your getting! With the number of devices you'll be connecting, all you need is just need a simple, cheap wifi 5 router without all the bells and wistles. I did a quick search for "Best router" and one website recommended the Linksys EA6350, which you can find on Amazon or Walmart for $96. I've never used that particular one but Linksys has been making good network equipment for a long time.
Once you get the router set up and running for a little while with no problems then you can work on getting it to your shop. It's not super hard to do but it'll take some figuring out. If your router's within 50 feet of your shop you might be able to connect directly to it from the laptop, but since it's probably not so close, you can set up a device in the shop called a wireless bridge. I recommend the Ubiquiti NanoStation M5 Loco which is pretty cheap ($65), and relatively easy to set up if you have a good youtube video to step you through it. It basically creates a wireless link (or bridge) to the wifi in your house. Once you set it up and mount it in line of sight of the house, you can plug the ethernet cable that comes out of the back of the bridge into the port on your laptop and have good, stable internet. If you wanted wifi in the shop also, you'd have to do a little more work, but that depends on what you want to do.
Attached is a kind of map that helped me understand how a bridge is configured.
Sorry that got pretty long, but I hope that helps!

Edited by Byrdy 1/6/2022 22:33

(Wireless Bridge (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Wireless Bridge (full).jpg (40KB - 185 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)