AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Macbook Pro for business use?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 8/14/2021 23:17 (#9164558)
Subject: Macbook Pro for business use?

Looking more likely that I might just replace my Lenovo T430 rather than repair it.

I have always wanted a Mac but just never felt I could justify it because of the way I use computers:

1. I use Microsoft Office 365 a lot for sharing spreadsheets and other documents on the farm. I make extensive use of OneDrive, OneNote, Excel, and Word. I really enjoy that everything is cloud based and that two of us can simultaneously work in the same spreadsheet and see what the other one is doing. It's also awesome that anyone in the field can add records to Excel whether they have an iPhone or an Android. I don't know if that same ability exists with the MacBook though

2. I make extensive use of DropBox as well altough I use it less and less as I slowly transfer stuff to OneDrive

3. I use Sketchup some. I think Sketchup is pretty good on a Mac?

4. I really like Paint.NET. It's free and it works well and I can do just enough for my limited skills without spending lots of time to learn lots of stuff. Is there free photo editing software that has decent features and isn't too complicated for Apple computers or are you stuck with something complicated and expensive like Photoshop?

5. I use Quickbooks and to match with my accountant it really needs to be the Windows version. I don't even know if Intuit offers a Mac version anymore but it seemed like when they used to in the past I had heard it did not play well with the Window version. I will NOT be switching to Quickbooks online.

6. I use AgLeader SMS. I know there is only Windows for that

So basically I'd have to use Bootcamp or Parrallels If I chose an M1 processor that would mean parallels only. I guess I'm OK with parallels if the performance is good but it seems like I would be going to a lot of expense and effort to pretend that I have a Windows computer when I could more easily do so by just having a Windows computer. Kinda seems like the only advantages I would have to having a MacBook would be:

a) the ability to use Messenger on my computer which would work well with my iPhone
b) finally the chance to see how the Mac OS works. Last time I did much with it was OS 9 so I guess I'm just curious what all the hype is about

Seems kinda hard to justify for those reasons though.

Anyone else go to all of that trouble just to run an Apple laptop? Is it worth it or just a pain in the butt?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)