AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sage for sausage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Jeff in ND
Posted 10/25/2022 15:31 (#9901549 - in reply to #9899214)
Subject: RE: Sage for sausage

RR Valley, ND; MN native
Did not know there are different varieties....

When a very small boy, they used to make home-made sausage in the grandparents house...

Hog carcass on the kitchen table...

meat/fat strips run through the grinder. It was a formerly hand cranked one with a brazed on rod and Dad would use a big 2 handle drill to run it. It would howl. The grinder was clamped to a old kitchen chair and dad holding onto the drill for dear life sitting on another chair next to it.

This would all happen late in the evening after the chores were done in the barn.

Ground meat went into a old porcelain wash tub and mixed with salt, pepper, sage, and mustard seeds. Mixed by hand of course.

From there went to the hand cranked stuffer on the kitchen counter. Got to run the crank at least once. Had to stand on a chair to reach the crank.

The sausage rings got hung in the smokehouse (actually the old outhouse shack from before when a bathroom was put in) over a damped apple smoke fire.

Nobody has made this sausage like this in over 45yrs I think..... I think there was once a recipe for stuff but long lost except for my memories.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)