AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean stratagy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JohnDeereGreenWKY
Posted 12/21/2009 14:34 (#978177 - in reply to #977627)
Subject: Re: Soybean stratagy

West Ky
Was talking with an individual at a meeting and he was there to talk to us about corn. He had several pics of corn from up north and from down here. He was talking about herbicides and such and the programs on trying to control these weeds.
I talked to him after the meeting about what he was talking about. He told me that many farmers from up north just use RU on a lot of their programs and it controls most of their weeds. That a lot of the same weeds down south you need 4 or 5 different chemicals to try and clean the field up but up north it is much easier to do so. I know what he was telling me was true because I see it here also with comments from nothern farmers commenting on southern farmers fields being weedy. That is because they think the weeds in their fields are the same down here.
With a lot of the chemicals you have to use now I'm just wondering if it would pay to use old conventional type beans? You get the added premium if you can find a buyer plus you can keep the seed. The past couple of years now I've seen quite a few fields that had weeds all over them. I have even seen guys starting to work up the ground to try and control the marestail. This type of farming you haven't seen around here in some time. In dry years working the ground really takes the yield away down here.
Marketing non GMO soybeans could be the way to go in the future especially down south.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)