AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

10%+ unemployment thru 2015?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/12/2009 18:12 (#962812 - in reply to #962598)
Subject: Unemployment, healthcare and "reports"

Driftless SW Wisconsin

We are talking about unemployment here but it does again drift into politics.

I will say that one of the things that DOES stifle employment here is the incredible increase in health insurance costs to the employer in the private system currently in place.

SOMETHING has to be done to control health care costs in this country.

THAT is something that does strongly affect a potential employers decisions on whether or not to hire permanent workers or use temps with no benefits.

I am not saying what should be done and start a raging right vs left discussion which is sure to include "Nancy Pelosi" somewhere in the text....

As an employer who feels it is important to provide health insurance for my employees I see the escalation in health insurance costs over the past few years must be slowed. Private companies are unlikely to do it themselves so this is an area where government needs to act in the best interests of its citizens. I suspect that manufacturers in many low-cost manufacturing countries don't have health care too high on their expense list.

I am pleased to see the current debate on health care costs in this country. I am NOT pleased that a good portion of the premiums I pay on behalf of my employees is probably going to pay lobbyists whose compensation is based on killing any meaningful change.

There are a lot of folks and a lot of companies making a lot of money with the current broken system. They don't want to change anything.

You can cite all the questionable numbers by questionable groups you wish. However SOMETHING needs to change in the way we finance health care in this country. We (the tax payer) bail out bankers who make ridiculous loans on Sunbelt condos.

We need to find a way to help pay for health care for a woman, maybe working as a temp, not on unemployment nor the infamous "welfare" but the only job she could find, with no insurance, who is suddenly diagnosed with breast cancer and her only option for care is to use a credit card, her family has to sell their home, or maybe both declare bankruptcy, erasing a lifetimes worth of work. We have to solve this problem.

So much for my "rant"!

Employment and reducing unemployment is not quick nor easy. I believe it must include more manufacturing in the US, less "Outsourcing". Manufacturing can be done profitably in the US. It is NOT quick nor easy. Tax policy is only one small part of the puzzle. Health care costs are to me another part of the puzzle.

I am not concerned about dangers to changing the current system - it must be changed. There will be increases. However the RATE of those increases must be brought under control. Government appears to be the only party able to start that process.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 12/12/2009 18:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)