AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

10%+ unemployment thru 2015?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/12/2009 17:57 (#962782 - in reply to #962490)
Subject: RE: Manufacturing in a Wally-world.

Driftless SW Wisconsin

dt, I did not say our manufacturing is "pitiful - quite the opposite! I said our short term maximizing the next quarters profit thinking has caused many companies to shift manufacturing oveerseas.

We can manufacture profitably in this country, as Toyota and other demonstrate. It is not easy. It requires longer range thinking.

On the subject of foreign companies "manufacturing" in this country however we need to be careful. Toyota for example when they opened the Georgetown assembly plant still did bring most of the high-value parts over more or less complete from there Japanese factories. That may have changed in the years since I am familiar with that plant.

And many foreign companies are very secretive about their manufacturing knowledge and processes. It makes sense but very different from many American companies that seem to fall all over ourselves teaching others what it took us a long time and expense to learn....

We can and we do manufacture top quality products in this country. It is not quick profits nor is it easy but it can be done and will need to be done if we are to truly change the employment outlook for the future in America. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)