AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cat 3208 stalls out under load at idle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Kai
Posted 4/10/2022 13:31 (#9606332)
Subject: Cat 3208 stalls out under load at idle

Utah
Hello everyone, Fairly new to working on diesels so please forgive any stupid questions. I've been attempting to diagnose an issue with my 1982 Ford B700 with a Cat3208T. Recently purchased and in need of love.

This seems to be a place that has quite a bit of knowledge concerning this engine and it's quirks so I'm hoping I can benefit from some of that wisdom.

As the title says the engine is stalling out when coming to stops or for slow corners if I let the engine idle. Sometimes it feels as if the prime pump has lost some pressure and priming will get it started. Sometimes it needs a shot of ether. if I pull the filter underneath the priming pump it is half empty. Left foot brake + accelerator keeps her running.

There are quite a bit of air bubbles in the top of the glass water separator when I pull the throttle open. Not the little vapor bubbles I've seen in these filters before on other applications. I have a new priming pump coming tomorrow as I've read (on this site!) that when it fails it can be a culprit in the system pulling air in through weak seals and the seals on the back of the water separator are sometimes where it happens.

I have changed the primary filter, water separator filter, and secondary filter.

Now to my actual questions lol.

1. Will air in the system recirculate if not bled out properly?

2. Will an electric pump between the primary filter and water separator help with air in the line?

3. I would like to replace the glass box type separator with a spin on. What model will be suitable for this engine?

4. Is increasing the idle slightly a potential short term workaround that won't be causing damage to the system?

5. What is the best way to check for leaks between the tank and water separator.

Thanks for any help, advice, warnings, admonishments or well wishes!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)