AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Devaluations, Denninger
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Art Swannack
Posted 12/3/2009 10:06 (#948031 - in reply to #948000)
Subject: RE: Devaluations, Denninger

I'm not sure if you will need an abundance of dollars or not in reference to the Currency devaluation. It would affect only those items bought from outside the U.S. Internal purchases of items made in U.S. would be affected less. One problem is a lot of what we buy comes from outside the country. I was talking with my land loan officer yesterday. He says they believe a farmer should have current ratio of at least 2:1, and if you don't have much debt (so that ratio doesn't mean much to you) then they are recommending having 50% of your operating needs for next year in cash reserves. His concern is the availability of cash in the next year or two. Their loan criteria haven't changed (they are pretty strict to start with) but the farmer's quality of applications are going down. Makes me wonder about us having round two of the cash lock up that occured September 08. If you look at what happened then, nothing was being bought or sold on the world market because nobody knew if the other guys promisory note or bank was good.
Even in the Spokane area there are alot of banks to go under yet. Accountant friend of ours was talking with a bank regulator a couple weeks ago. Regulator says there are only 5 solid banks in this area. I was surprised because the people around here are pretty conservative with their investments and spending habits. It looks to me like we have a long road to go until we are back in a "good" economy. Our State is now $2.6B in the hole on our 2 year budget that was passed last May (was balanced then :-)).
My gut feeling is don't get carried away with spending, keep lots of cash in the bank that is known to be good and spend time with the family.
FWIW
Art
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)