AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Debt is a tool
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Art Swannack
Posted 11/23/2009 15:11 (#935402 - in reply to #935249)
Subject: Re: Debt is a tool

What your father said sounds like good advice. I hope nobody believes I am condeming them because they use debt. I am not. I believe each person is entitled to make that choice for themselves. I do believe an open honest conversation helps me and others learn about the subject and make better choices. I have bought livestock, machinery and land on debt, but I always tried to keep it reasonable and low enough % of the operation that it wouldn't kill my operation. The 50K worth of sheep that we bought to expand 8 years ago and were culled in 2 years made me glad I didn't get carried away (but they did about break even in the end). I'm not sure how to justify a 450K combine, but a $150K might work here. I have also noticed that lots of money tied in machinery has a tendency to become a smaller value over time. So I try to tie up only enough in the tractors/combines,etc... to do the job well.
And yes I enjoy farming. Dad said we would never get rich farming, but we do get to make a lot of our own choices.

Art
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)