AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn and bean prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 11/18/2009 10:54 (#928848 - in reply to #928641)
Subject: RE: Was just wondering the same thing

Southeast Colorado
Believe me, I understand your frustration. Although I do believe that the market ultimately is controlled by fundamentals, the fundamentals themselves are a slow moving vehicle that take years to guide farmers decisions on what to plant. Meanwhile the market is moving all over the place on whims or panics by the marketers. I stated here earlier this spring that I would not forward contract any of my crop. I would just work to sell it at the best market after harvest. I was tired of studying this market so hard only to make a decision that was totally proven wrong later. I got a little support for my decision on this forum but most thought I was dumb to look at it that way. I do think I have put myself into a good position financially to be able to take a lot less for my grain than some and still make a living. Not all have that luxury, especially in a very competitive farming area. However, we do reap what we sow, so if your in that position you asked for it. I'll always watch marketing info and read what I can but I do know it was relaxing, even when the grain price was going down, to not worry about the forward contracting. Even when it looked like there was NO way the price was coming back up I just said to myself, "I've been here before and made decisions that handed me my ass so this time I'm not going to do it." Remember that your goal in life should be about becoming happy with your decisions and doing what is comfortable for you. Do not stress over the things that are out of your control whether you think they are or not. The ultimate price grain ends up at is out of your control!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)