AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gough vs Snake
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ham
Posted 11/7/2009 17:58 (#916270 - in reply to #916024)
Subject: Eastern Brown Snake

Blvd d'Espair Bowhill, Sth Aust

According to Wikipedia.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake

The Eastern Brown Snake is the second most venomous land snake in the world after the Inland Taipan.[2] Their venom is very toxic, and can be fatal; even juveniles have caused human fatalities. The venom contains both neurotoxins and blood coagulants.[3] Eastern Brown Snakes are also aggressive. Compared to most snakes that will flee when ever possible, Brown Snakes are much more likely to stand their ground, heightening the danger in an encounter. Without medical treatment, death is highly likely.

As far as I know that is all true, however, what Wikipedia left out is that the Eastern Brown  has very inefficient fangs, which don't deliver their toxin well.

The snake is common over a very wide part of Australia, including my own area.  In my whole life I have only heard of an extremely small number of bites, and i dont personally know of any fatalities.  if you wear long pants and shoes, and have  a small amount of consideration for what you do, you are unlikely to have much of a problem.

The moral of the story is "don'r mess with them".

Like Gough, I dont tolerate them around the house and sheds, or if, for example, I see one on the road at a place  where I know kids get on a school bus, or something similar.   Otherwise I will make a small attempt to go around them on the road ( most common sighting), and don't bother them in an open field ( not  such a  common sighting, but has happened)

Being a native species, they are protected by law, so Gough should expect a call from the Feds..

But that is highly unlikely to eventuate.

I once saw one on the road in a local country town, and proceeded to take him out by running over him and locking the wheels as they crossed  him  ( they will survive  a  car wheel just rolled over them ).   I then noticed the local policeman observing my actions, and immediately had mental pictures of a fine for killing a native animal etc etc.. But he just said "thanks for that"  and proceeded to remove the  carcase.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)