AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Family Farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Cowpoke
Posted 10/27/2009 11:13 (#901932 - in reply to #901460)
Subject: Re: Family Farm

Is your brother working on the farm full time for a living? The reason I ask is it is not always about the money.

Before my dad sold his business I used to help out all the time, but never really asked for any money. After all the man fed me for 25 years and paid for 4 years of college. I was a pretty fair mechanic so if he had a truck go down, needed something in the warheouse, or just got in a bind for some reason I just helped out when I could. The few odd times I was between jobs if he was short he would put me on the payroll and I would drive/repair trucks until I could get going again. I guess I tried to help him out whenever I could and he tried to help me get started in life

That being said whatever agreement your dad and brother reach about compensation is up to them and as long as both are satisfied its no one elses business. It still doesn't have to be money.

Our arrangement with my 9 year old, who is 200% consumed witrh the cattle industry, is that as long as he is helping with chores he can keep 2 cow/calf pairs in our pasture and a few sheep. he is a hard worker. We take care of all the yearly expenses (Vet, feed, hay) in exchange for his labor.The only time we have to bust him to get away from the TV is when there is a cattle show on RFD-TV.

This works for us. He is eager and willing to do the cattle feeding and he gets some level of ownership in the farm (which is what is important to me). As he ages and the timing is right I plan on taking him to the bank and let him get a note to expand his herd and learn the finacial side of the business. Not that I can't buy him more cows, but I will not always be here and he will have to learn to pencil things himself.

No money is changing hands, but we think the kid is learning and he is building net worth although admittedly on a small scale. The funniest thing was last year he came home from school asking where his allowance was (I guess he got this from other kids). After I described to him what he would be worth by the time he graduated versus all the kids getting $20/week now and blowing it on games he said OK and has never mentioned it again. So I don't appear to be too big of a scrooge, we do give him a few bucks to blow at fairs and such.

Bottom line, whatever works for your brother and dad is no one elses business and the answer is not always salary unless it is a full time job then some compensation is necessary.

Edited by Cowpoke 10/27/2009 11:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)