AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Keeping digital farm records.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 1/25/2021 17:29 (#8781080 - in reply to #8764705)
Subject: RE: Keeping digital farm records.

SE Manitoba
Youngohioian - 1/19/2021 18:22

After not having a good personal computer of my own since I was in college, I purchased a new one this past weekend with the intent to use it to keep farm books and records. I have always kept all records on paper and never really did the best job at it as I always got lazy as the year went on.

I do not have a large farm so I won't have that much to keep track of.

What is everyone's preference for doing this?
Excel spreadsheet (s)
Quick books?
What version?
Is there another tried and true software I should be made aware of.

I mostly just want to keep track of my expenses and income with possibly some crop info

If anyone has a spreadsheet they'd share if love to see it!

I'm going to be the real odd man out!!!!
I've been running linux variants for about 20 years and I really really (add a few more) like having things that I can look at 'years' later - - - you can't do that in most any windows accounting program (go ahead and check).

I started by using spreadsheet(s).
Had starting on a 36 column ledger and it didn't take too long and I was at 250+ columns on the spreadsheet.
Today I have a account code file document that is about 40 pages long (based on GIFI codes (general index of financial information (used in both the US and Canuckistan! ( but they're NOT the same codes)))).
The information is in plain text and I can keep track of even the number of fitting in brass of size x I've used in the year (detail is up to me - - - - and I 'flog it hard').

The problem is all the other information (cattle, sheep, grain, forage, and more) - - - - I've been working on some ideas but its not a small job and a good system is incredibly complex.

So if anyone is interested there are some incredibly easy to use one in linux - - - - and they're free. If you need complex - - - - well my software is free too and I could maybe share my account codes but you might be better served if you took my outline and rolled your own.

If people are interested I could write something up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)