AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who shall hold Facebook accountable?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

chirpfarm
Posted 1/5/2021 14:11 (#8724763 - in reply to #8723509)
Subject: RE: Who shall hold Facebook accountable?

South Central MN
Facebook/Instagram are incredibly creepy, and it isn't just when you are using the app. I'm still guilty of using FB though.

Most recent example was when my sister sent me a regular text (not via FB or Insta) asking what I was getting dad for Xmas. I replied with a photo of the MN state park book I was getting him. I did not include any text at all describing what the book was, and I did not speak the name of the book out loud. The next day, my sister started getting Instagram ads for the exact same book, except for the state she is living in. She did not search for the book because I already had it. Lesson here is that they are analyzing all photos you take.

The other example was when we were at a cousin's Thanksgiving and they started talking about Prosecco (a sparkling wine). Neither my wife nor I googled it or looked it up in any way, but the next day we both got ads for prosecco in our individual FB accounts. Lesson there is that they are listening to everything you say. If they aren't listening and just made the ads because our phones happened to be in close proximity to other phones whose owner's had looked up prosecco, then that's creepy too.

But, I still use FB so I guess I can't complain too much.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)