AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1963 F 600 engine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 7/7/2009 00:19 (#767817 - in reply to #767769)
Subject: RE: 1963 F 600 engine

just a tish NE of central ND
292 ford V 8 engine. .......Been there and done that on a 63 single axle also! A number of years back was going to put in a reman......... couldnt find one.Only way to get one was to send in block and wait for a month or six weeks and the seemed quite overly expensive. Decided to rebuild at local shop and had crank done and heads fixed ,ect......Before we got to the block boreing,we needed the kit. Asked a few places for "kits" and the all had them untill we went in to get them. Then ended up buying all individual parts and also a camshaft...... COST went through the nose!!! That was before many of us used the internet much. Now I see parts kits on E bay that could possibly be more reasonable. Best alternative you could find cheaply if you still wanted to have a simmilar truck would be to find a 70's or newer C 60 chevy with a 350(common motor, common parts) Our 290 was nothing but a expensive pain in the arsh.......It had comshaft bushing problems that caused the rockers to run dry on lube oil. burned out valves, hole in piston one time.External oil pump that eventually leaked oil on ground .......We would fix it thinking we had it "good to go" and it never ever lasted. Fairly powerful engine for what it was though.I dont think you can even find that cross over exhaust pipe anymore at parts stores. Lot of people swore by the 292, I swore at ours....Many times!... money pit........
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)