AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wireless Internet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 12/17/2006 02:25 (#74748 - in reply to #74721)
Subject: RE: Wireless Internet

southern MN
Wall coverings (metal) and other interference can be a problem.

300 feet often does work. They optimisticlly rate the better routers at 600+ feet.

If it doesn't work out of the box:

You will need to place the 2 device antennea at windows to see each other - line of sight.

Buy a better & directional antennea. (Some make a sphere around themselves, others make a big flat circle to cover bigger area less height, others make a cone to go very far in one direction but hardly a couple feet in the other directions. All are limited to the same amount of power output, depends on where you aim that given power.)

Mount the antenna(s) outside.

Chain routers, to make a couple shorter hops around/through the interference.

So, yes it does work. Might be real simple, might take a few bucks.... You won't really know, until you try.

I would start with a good range-enhanced wireless router, not the cheapest thing you can find. That _could_ be all you need. By the box, & typically, without metal/ wireless phone/ pine trees/ other problems, it is supposed to work.

Typical home routers are the 2.4mhz G/B-routers. Do the new N-routers, at 5mhz, have a much better range, less issues with metal walls? I don't know, something to ask about. They are biggerbetterfaster, so cost more.

Smart folks around here will know a lot more, but I happen to be all you got up this late at night. :)

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)