AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What size trailor to make bridge.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 12/13/2006 01:30 (#73100 - in reply to #73086)
Subject: RE: What size trailor to make bridge.......

I was always told it was to the rear axle. My mistake.

I've never worried about measuring it because the only thing that means anything is the bridge and the fifth wheel setting on the tractor and I'm not so sure that matters much any more. We always thought we needed an adjustable 5th wheel and this last truck is fixed, but when you think about it except for clearance on a short kingpin if you find the point that it puts 12 on the front and 34 on the drivers there really is no need to have to change it. CFI had it right on this one, I am assuming that any truck mfg can find a chart that will tell them what it needs to be on any given truck.

I've seen so many people worry too much about keeping a trailer short to get in and out of field with it. Maybe other areas don't get hassled like we do with dot, but going with a short trailer can cause so many problems. Even shorter tractors are not that much of an advantage. I run side by side with some short day cabs hauling rock and every once in a while we find a spot where I have to do things differently, but for the most part you're just not in situations that are that tight that a couple ft on a wheelbase makes a difference.

If I had a field that was that tight I know what one of the first projects would be the next winter.

Merry Christmas to you and the family.

Ray
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)