AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Challenger MT owners
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Posted 5/28/2009 08:27 (#725528 - in reply to #725383)
Subject: Re: Question for Challenger MT owners

Nice tractor. You shouldn't have a problem pulling the planter, could probably pull it without the chip if your ground is relatively flat and you're not using no-till coulters or something similar that's going to take more power. What kind of planter? I might be a bit more concerned about having enough hydraulic flow if you're using an air planter, especially JD or CIH seem to take a lot of hydraulic power to run the air/vacuum systems. When it comes to Krause Dominators, I'm not going to stick my neck out and say what you can and can't pull with it because the hp requirements of that tool seem highly variable. It does a great job and there are plenty of them around here, but most 18' units are being pulled with at least 450 - 500 hp. That is pulling it at a target speed of 6-6.5 mph and a depth of 10" minimum, preferrably 11-12". Krause also offers a couple different sizes of shanks I think too which will change your specific hp requirements as well as soil type and presence of compaction. And, from what I've seen of them, speed (as well as depth) are important to the job it is designed to do. I'd think about scaling back to at least a 15' unit and even then I'm not so sure that 400 hp would be enough to reach target speed and depth in your ground. They are hard pulling units, but they do an excellent job to be sure. Like I said, most 18' units here are behind MT855 or MT865 Cats or similar size Quads. You will want at least 25" belts and some extra front weights to make the 765 pull something that heavy I think too, which is why I might be looking more at a 15' or whatever size they offer around that. We have pulled up to a 44' field cultivator for spring work with a 765, handles it well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)